I remember when one of my friends told me he uses an Android TV box in his house instead of the normal decoders (DSTV, Startimes, Kwese TV, GOTV etc) people use. I was at a loss because I didn’t know what an Android TV box was then.
I later discovered that, an Android TV Box is simply a TV box running the android operating system (OS). This is the same operating system that our smartphones and tablets run on.
It is categorized under TV boxes, which is one out of the many “TV streaming devices” out there. Some examples of TV streaming devices are; Roku or Apple TV,TV Box, IPTV Box, HTPC, Kodi Box etc.
Table of Contents
How Does An Android TV Box Work?
An Android TV Box is just a TV box that runs the android OS. If you know how to use your android tablet or smart phone, you will be able to operate an Android TV box.
How it works is that it gets contents from your internet to your television. It will turn your TV into an android powered smart TV.
There are so many brands that produce a TV box that run the android OS. It is just like our smartphones, we have the Tecno brand, Samsung, Infinix, etc. All of them use an Android OS.
This brings us to the factors to consider when choosing an android TV box.
Factors To Consider When Choosing an Android TV box
Before you bought your smart phone, you considered so many factors. You considered the battery life span, the camera, the memory space and probably the RAM/ processor.
The same thing should be done before buying your first TV box.
- The Processor: This is just like your smartphone processor, it determines the speed and how smooth your device will run. The higher the processor, the faster and smoother your devices will run. It is advisable to go for a TV Box with a Octa-Core (8-Core) Processor. Quad Core (8 -core) processors are not bad, but octa-core is better.
- The RAM and the memory space (ROM): Just like a smart phone, a TV box with a higher RAM will function faster than one with a lower RAM. The memory space should be considered also for storage of apps and other files.
- Other factors: Other factors to consider include; the Android operating version,(Android TV boxes normally come with a lower android version) Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB slots, Supported Video formats and so on.
Top Brands of Android TV Boxes
Some good brands of Android TV boxes are; MQX Pro, X96 mini, A95X, MX pro
Where Can I Get an Android TV Box?
They are available in top telecommunication outlets all over the world. But if you are struggling to find one or you just want to order it online, It is available on so many online stores in your country.
How Much Does It Cost?
Initial cost: A complete android TV box with it’s remote and other accessories cost between $30– $55. The price depends on the brand and the specifications.
Running Cost: After buying and installing your TV box, the only thing you will need to be subscribing for, is your internet service. This depends on the internet service provider you are using.
For a smooth running and usage, I will advise that you subscribe to a 4G and above LTE internet service or a Wifi. E.g, Smile, Spectranet.
If you are financially buoyant you could install a Fiber Optics Network Cable and enjoy, unlimited and faster internet speed for a fixed price per month.
how to setup android tv box
In order to enjoy your android TV box to the maximum, you will need to have the following:
- A television
- The Android TV box itself
- A fast and reliable internet connection.
NOTE: It doesn’t require a dish like cable decoders.
Once you have all that, then you connect your TV box to your TV as instructed in the manual. Automatically your TV becomes a smart TV.
Then you can download any streaming app of your choice and watch your favorite TV shows over an internet connection.
I am not yet using an android TV box, but if you are using one, I would like to hear from you. Tell me what you think, is it worth it? Drop your comments below.
Don’t forget to share this article with others using the social media buttons.